Monday 12 September 2011

Australian Sam Stosur Wins US Open

 
Sam Stosur has won the US Open after beating Serena Williams 6-2,6-3 in the final on Monday morning Australian time.

This is the first time an Australian has won the grand slam in a decade, and the first Australian woman to win a Grand Slam title since Evonne Goolagong won Wimbledon in 1980. She is also just the second Australian woman in the Open Era to win the US Open, after Margaret Court (who won in 1969, 1970 and 1973).

Samantha Stosur, the 27-year-old Australian,  has following the footsteps of countryman Lleyton Hewitt, who toppled the then-favourite Pete Sampras in 2001's Wimbledon final. They both entered their respective matches as underdogs, but emerged as first-time grand slam champions.

In front of a 23,000 strong crowd under floodlights at the Arthur Ashe Stadium, 13-time champion Williams began the match with an ace.

The American Serena Williams had not lost a single match in the summer hardcourt lead-up. Serena herself under pressure in only the third game – serving an abnormally slow 69 miles per hour second serve en route to being broken.

Fearless Stosur grew in confidence despite the home crowd support and broke again for a 5-2 lead, serving it out with ease.

Stosur said at the trophy presentation "I think I had one of my best days. It was fortunate to do it on this stage in New York, where I love to play. I've dreamt about this since I started playing and knew what a Grand Slam was. Ever since I really started playing and knew what a grand slam wathis was always a dream of mine to be here one day and I don’t really know what to say or how how I’m feeling. Thanks to all my friends and family and to everyone for supporting me. I'm really looking forward to coming back home to Australia."

Those at the tennis match took the time to remember the 10-year anniversary of the terrorist attacks that hit their city.

No comments:

Post a Comment