Wednesday, 28 November 2012
National Gallery of Australia Wins ACT's Major Tourist Attraction Award
The NGA ran the popular blockbuster, Renaissance: 15th & 16th Century Italian Paintings from the Accademia Carrara, Bergamo, over the summer of 2011-12.
The Tourist Attraction award went to Questacon - The National Science and Technology Centre which in 2013 celebrates 25 years of making science fun for kids.
For the fourth year in a row, Floriade picked up the Major Festivals and Events awards category for Floriade 2011: A Feast for the Senses. Floriade 2010 went on to win gold in its category at the 2011 Qantas Australian Tourism Awards earlier this year.
Celebrating its fifth year, the Canberra Glassworks - the only glass art centre of its kind in Australia - picked up the award for Specialised Tourism Services.
From the accommodation sector, Diamant Hotel in the NewActon precinct picked up the Deluxe Accommodation award, while the historic Hyatt Hotel Canberra - A Park Hyatt Hotel picked up the Luxury Accommodation award. Novotel Canberra won the Qantas Award for Excellence in Sustainable Tourism.
Other winners were:
- Canberra Institute of Technology Tourism and Hotel Management (Tourism Education and Training)
- Museum of Australian Democracy at Old Parliament House (Tourism Education Program)
- Allan Williams (Outstanding Contribution by an Individual)
- Teone Nutt (Young Achiever Award)
- Elm Cottage, Southern Highlands Visitor Information Centre, Canberra and Region Visitors Centre (Visitor Experience Award).
The awards celebrate the diverse Canberra region tourism experiences offered by an industry that contributes over $1.3 billion annually and employs more than 15,000 Canberrans.
The winners will represent the ACT region in the Qantas Australian Tourism Awards being held in Hobart in February 2013.